Terms and Conditions

Account Balances

As Spartan Cash is used, the account balance is displayed or printed at the time of sale. For continuous service, check the balance often and deposit additional funds when the balance reaches $10 or less. Funds will remain in the account from year to year unless the account becomes inactive or is closed by the cardholder. An account that is inactive for a period of one MSU fiscal year (July 1 – June 30) will be subject to a $10 maintenance fee, deducted at the close of each fiscal year.

Closing an Account

Funds remain in accounts and roll over from year to year. Account holders are encouraged to use all funds before closing an account. Accounts may only be closed at the end of the school year or upon leaving the University. Refunds are subject to a $10 administrative closing fee, deducted before refunding. Refunds will be issued in the same method as the deposit was received. No refund will be made for accounts with a balance less than $12.

Merchandise Refunds and Returns

All refunds and merchandise returns must be authorized and processed by the vendor. A credit will be issued to the Spartan Cash account. No refunds or returns will be issued without a receipt. The credit will be issued by the end of the following business day.

Resolution of Disputes

Account disputes should be brought to the attention of the Spartan Cash Office. Staff will investigate the dispute and seek resolution within two business days, if possible. (Disputes regarding a purchase should be brought to the attention of the vendor who sold the product.)

Fraudulent Use of MSU ID Cards

Fraudulent use of an MSU ID card resulting in loss of funds to a cardholder will be considered a criminal offense and reported to the Michigan State University Police.

Lost MSU IDs

Report lost or stolen MSU IDs immediately on the link labeled "Report Lost/Stolen Card" on this website or phone the Spartan Cash InfoLine at 517-355-CASH (2274). Your card will be suspended until it is either found or a new ID is obtained. MSU will not be liable for misappropriation of funds prior to your reporting a card lost or stolen. For a lost/stolen replacement ID or to get a damaged ID replaced or re-coded, visit the MSU ID Office, 170 International Center. A new ID charge will be billed to your account.